It was way back in 1914, Dr. M.A. Ansari felt the need for making an association for the medical professionals and this is how Delhi Medical Association was born on 14th August, 1914. On 14th August, Dr. M.A. Ansari issued notice for assembling the medical practitioners. On 20th August, first inaugural function of the association was held in consultation room of Dr. Ansari in Fatehpuri Mosque and was attended by 23 members out of 28 medical practitioners practicing at that time.
The first office bearers of the Association were Dr. M.A. Ansari, Dr. Abdul Rehmaan, Dr. S.P. Shroff, Dr. H.L. Keal, Dr. J.K. Sain, Dr. Bhairon Dayal and Dr. I.T. Mitrra. Since there was no office of the association, for the first few years, all the meetings were held either at the clinic of Dr. M.A. Ansari or nearby restaurants.
In 1925 regular CME activities were started and social get-togethers were added to the agenda. A partnership with the government: In 1925 DMA joined hands with government in implementing the health schemes and extending support in fighting epidemics and giving free vaccinations to the public. The association got recognized by University Code, Indian Red Cross Society and various other Advisory Bodies.
In 1926 the first office of the association was rented in Jama Masjjd Dispensary. With the effort of senior consultant Lt Col G.D. Franklin, a plot of land was acquired at Ansari Road at a nominal cost of Rs. 1237 in 1926. A sum of Rs. 6500 was raised and a hall, office, library room and servant quarters were built in the DMA building at Ansari Road in the year 1933. Opening ceremony of the building was performed by Dr. G B Deshmukh, Dr.J K Saini, President and Dr. D.L. Burman, Secretary.
In 1928 Indian Medical Association was established and efforts were made to convert DMA into a provincial branch of IMA.
In 1941DMA was completely amalgamated with IMA and was recognized as its provincial branch with the distinction that it shall retain its original name.
DMA was declared one of the oldest medical associations in the world in 1941.
In 1947 with the Indian Independence influx of all medical men in Delhi was the greatest. The prospects increased day by day when many displaced medical persons were incorporated into the umbrella of DMA.The old hall with a seating capacity of 100 (constructed when its membership was 40) was found to be inadequate.
In 1954 Dr. B.K. Sikand, President, decided to erect a new and bigger house of DMA. In the next two years, Dr. D C Golatia and Dr. Prem Narain, President did fund raising campaign for the building. In 1959 President Col. Ameer Chand resolved to take up the construction work in right earnest. In 1960 the architects M/s Sathe and Kothari were appointed by the Executive Committee on 4th February, 1960. On 14th August, 1960, the foundation stone of the executive building was laid by Dr. Col. Ameer Chand.
On 14th August, 1963, Dr. Sushila Nayar Union Health Minister performed opening ceremony of the new building.
New DMA Auditorium was inaugurated by Shri L.K. Advani, Hon’ble Union Home Minister, Govt. of India on 26.03.2001.
Pinnacle of glory for our association was Grand Centenary Celebrations of DMA at prestigious Vigyan Bhawan in August 2014 in presence of Galaxy of Medical Luminaries alongwith Distinguished Union Ministers such as Hon’ble Mr. Arun Jaitely, Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Dr. Jitendra Singh and Dr. Mahesh Sharma and other prominent dignitaries.
Now, Delhi Medical Association is the highest and biggest platform of doctors of medicine involved into mass scale vaccination, health checkup camps, measles and pulse polio programmes Blood donation camps, Anti Quackery movement, conference etc…. Today DMA has totally decentralized all its activities to all its thirteen branches spread all over Delhi and is now fully devoted for its total work up on health policies and other issues of Delhi Govt., National & International health agencies and health associations.